Friday, January 06, 2006

I Keep My Eyes Wide Open All The Time. (Or, A Movie Review.)

After excusing myself from the No-Love Thursday festivities (note to myself: need to buy more coffee beans) I took off to the far north side to the new Carmike Cinemas 84. (I don't know how many screens they have, but auditorium #12 is nice....good sized, new, clean and comfortable.) Didn't like the lobby much, although the TV screens are an interesting touch....even have the menus at the concession stands on Samsung monitors. Note to management, though....it's kind of confusing to have trailers on the screens in January saying "Coming This Fall." Three movies I saw featured are already out...and one actually WAS coming out this fall. They DO update trailers...maybe you could update the ones in the lobby. My beef with the lobby (no pun intended) was that the concrete floors, and lines made me feel like a cow headed to slaughter at a nicely appointed stockyard.

ANYWAY....

The movie rocked. Went to see "Walk The Line". For the three Gentle Readers that don't know, it's a portion of the life story of Johnny Cash. I wouldn't have chosen Joaquin Phoenix OR Reese Witherspoon to play Johnny or June Carter Cash, but they both did a tremendous job--especially Phoenix, who got Johnny's mannerisms down to the point where even MY cynical ass believed the role (and I've met and spent time with Johnny Cash.) A wonderful movie about a true entertainer, and an American musical icon. Go see it, even if you're not a Johnny Cash fan.

Rating? Five stars out of four. An extra star for being about one of the coolest SOBs that ever lived. And all in a PG-13 movie. Great story, well told.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Q. Public esq. said...

if you say its good it must be...

1/06/2006 9:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love Johnny Cash..i grew up w/his music in the background of my life. I cant wait to see this flick..

btw..i tagged you on a meme tiny..hope you play along..go check my blog to get the particulars please..

thanks :)

1/06/2006 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home