Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Learn How To Play Guitar. (Or, Thanks For The Advice, Mr. Mellencamp.)



Tonight...I begin guitar lessons. I can play viola well, keyboards poorly, and some percussion well enough to keep the beat (which, if you've hung with many drummers, is often more than can be said for people that actually PLAY the drums.) But although I own an acoustic guitar (and have since the fourth grade,) a decent Alvarez electric guitar (not the 67 Telecaster shown above, but a knock-off in the Strat style,) a nice Ibanez six string bass guitar, and a banjo (don't ask--ok, the banjo belonged to my grandfather, and I rescued it for sentimental reasons) I have NEVER. ONCE. TAKEN A LESSON ON HOW TO PLAY ANY OF THEM. That changes tonight. Time to stop putting off the things I want to do, merely because I don't have the time, money or energy to do them. Not getting any richer, stronger, or less busy. The time to strike is now.

The kids are excited about my taking lessons....they're already envisioning a band...sort of Cream meets the Partridge Family. Not to burst their bubble, but if there was an Eric Clapton lurking inside me, I would think he would have surfaced by now....but at least I'll be able to get up and jam with my friends once I learn the three chords they already know. And that in itself is a victory of sorts. Always learning.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home