Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Sand In My Shoes.




The recent resignation of good friend Scott K. from my workplace to go to Sarasota, Florida has me jonesing for the beach. What a beautiful area....Scooter, I'm jealous of you and Ann, and hope the two of you (and the kids) love your new home. Do me a favor...if you get up to Cortez, take the boat ride from the Seafood Shack to look for dolphins; and take some pics for me....I forgot my camera when I was there last.

I have lived within a stone's throw of the beach before, you know....well, more than a stone's throw, but closer than Deer Creek is to here. Sumter, South Carolina was a dismal place to live, with very little going for it--in fact, I regret nearly every moment spent there (BOTH times)--but it DID have Ward's Barbecue, The Shrimper (home of Calabash seafood and chicken), and it was 35 miles from Darlington...and an hour and a half from the Waccamaw River, and the Grand Strand (pictured above.)


If I hit the lottery, I'd buy a Jet-ski or ATV rental business on the Grand Strand, or maybe a used record store on Sullivan's Island, near Charleston. Leisurely life near the sand and surf....that's the ticket.

I could live in Myrtle Beach.....Just think...it would be 3 hours closer to my kids....and near the water. But, I'm sure common sense will eventually win out...and I'll stay right where I'm at.

I miss the ocean.

I want to go back.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mother mother ocean....after all the years I've found....

Occupational hazard being...my occupation just ain't around...

Feels like I've drowned...feels like i've drowned....

--J. Buffett

7/30/2005 9:36 PM  
Blogger Steve "Tiny" Michaels said...

Sometimes, Gentle Reader, those lyrics are true...but I find that these are the Buffett lyrics that ring truest...

Reading departure signs in some big airport
Reminds me of the places I've been.
Visions of good times that brought so much pleasure
Makes me want to go back again.
If it suddenly ended tomorrow,
I could somehow adjust to the fall.
Good times and riches and son of a bitches,
I've seen more than I can recall

--One caveat...the NEXT to the last verse of "A Pirate Looks At Forty" is, as many people I love can attest to, dangerously close to the truth...

I go for younger women
Lived with several a while
Though I ran them away, if they come back one day
I still could manage a smile
Just takes a while...

Just takes a while.

Off to refuel the Hemisphere Dancer for the next flight into the unknown...

8/01/2005 1:47 AM  
Blogger John Q. Public esq. said...

Grand Strand... we still have sand in our shoes eh what?

someday, someday soon, we shall be free to wear our dress tee-shirts and clean sunday go to meeting shorts again (just for weddings).

good food, good drink and a cast that changes every week...

JQP

8/01/2005 8:41 AM  
Blogger Steve "Tiny" Michaels said...

Got sand in my sandals...need some open-toed time to regenerate. Hoped to take the kids to the next shuttle launch...but now, it looks like they might be grown before that actually happens. Sigh....

Oh for some Bessinger's barbecue and a Blenheim ginger ale....and some taffy from the Pavilion...

8/01/2005 3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home