Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A Snowy, Cold Thought For The Day. (Or, Please Come To Knoxville.)

There have been two major experiences in my life where I have 'felt the pull', so to speak. They both have to do with people I love. The one I can discuss is the pull of the Smoky Mountains, and East Tennessee....where my babies reside.

For some reason I was sitting here, and Dave Loggins popped into my head. This is damn close to being a perfect song. I'd love to live in any of the places he names....being a ramblin boy myself. And in the end, he finally gets to be with the one he loves...and they end up in Tennessee. A fairy tale ending if ever I heard one.

Please come to Gatlinburg? Maybe a fourth verse is in order. Nah...don't have anyone to sell paintings on the sidewalk...No fairy tale here....yet. But I still have hope....



Please come to Boston for the springtime
I'm staying here with some friends
And they've got lots of room
You can sell your paintings on the sidewalk
By a cafe where I hope to be workin soon
Please come to Boston
She said no, boy you come home to me
And she said, ramblin boy why don't you settle down
Boston ain't your kind of town
There ain't no gold, and there ain't nobody like me
I'm the number one fan of the man from Tennessee

Please come to Denver with the snowfall
We'll move up into the mountains so far we can't be found
And throw I love you echos down the canyon
And then lie awake at night until they come back around
Please come to Denver
She said no, boy you come home to me
And she said, ramblin' boy why don't you settle down
Denver ain't your kind of town
There ain't no gold, and there ain't nobody like me
I'm the number one fan of the man from Tennessee

Now that drifters world goes round and round
And I doubt it's ever gonna stop
But of all the dreams I've lost or found
and all that I ain't got
I still need to lean to
Somebody I can sing to

Please come to L.A. to live forever
California life alone is just too hard to build
I live in a house that looks out over the ocean
And there's some stars that fell from the sky
Livin' up on the hill
Please come to L.A.
She just said no, boy won't you come home to me
And she said, ramblin' boy why don't you settle down
L.A. can't be your kind of town
There ain't no gold, and there ain't nobody like me
I'm the number one fan of the man from Tennessee

3 Comments:

Blogger WarriorM said...

Oh Tiny! I should've known you'd be talkin' shit about my Saints. The Cougars haven't a prayer!!! I wish I was going to Tennessee to rub it in! :-)

12/08/2005 3:01 PM  
Blogger Steve "Tiny" Michaels said...

Ah...mary....

The only thing to rub in in West Tennessee will be spice rub on a rack of Rendezvous ribs....

The University of St. Francis is undefeated in four years of regular season play....and will round out this year by going undefeated in post season play, as well....

Care to make a small wager on the outcome?

12/08/2005 3:21 PM  
Blogger WarriorM said...

We shall see!!!! I'll make a wager. What will it be? JQP says 5 bucks, but that doesn't seem creative enough Got anything?

12/08/2005 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home